Porto (Portugal) (AFP) – Portuguese police said on Thursday that they were preparing “an operation of great complexity” for the arrival of thousands of fans in Porto for the Champions League final between Manchester City and Chelsea.
“The arrangement will involve many police officers in an operation of great complexity as required for a Champions League final,” Luis Cardoso da Silva, the police commander for the Porto metropolitan area, told a press conference.
With the approval of the local authorities, UEFA has issued 16,500 tickets for the game at the Dragon stadium, a third of capacity.
Both clubs have been allocated 6,000 tickets, and 1,700 tickets were made available to the general public. The rest will be distributed by UEFA.
The police said they could not provide a precise estimate of the number of foreign fans who will travel to Porto this weekend.
Portugal reopened its borders to tourists from the UK and the European Union some 10 days ago.
The police did not specify how many officers would be on duty but the force will be “robust”, said the head of the Porto police, indicating that they will be distributed in three hot spots: the stadium, the city centre and the airport.
Traffic restrictions will be imposed in three perimeters around the stadium, to which ticketed fans will be transported, and fan zones are expected to be set up in the city, although details of how they will be organised have not yet been decided.
The Portuguese authorities will be supported by eight British police officers who are used to dealing with Chelsea and City fans.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Serie A reaches TV rights deal with Abu Dhabi Media
- ESPN reveals Women’s Euro 2022 commentators and analysts
- Barcelona sell 10% of Liga TV rights to US fund
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil