Los Angeles (AFP) – Portland Timbers midfielder Andy Polo will miss the rest of the season as a result of injuries suffered in a red-card tackle against the Los Angeles Galaxy, the Major League Soccer club said Tuesday.
The Timbers said in a statement Peruvian international midfielder Polo had suffered a ruptured quadriceps muscle and a torn meniscus in his left leg following the brutal challenge by the Galaxy’s Derrick Williams.
Ireland international Williams was given a straight red for the tackle which came in a 3-0 defeat for Galaxy at Portland’s Providence Park.
Polo left the stadium on crutches and wearing a leg brace.
Galaxy coach Greg Vanney was critical of Williams’ challenge, saying the defender had mistimed the tackle.
“It’s a tackle that is going to be a red card every single time,” Vanney said after Saturday’s match. “It’s just never going to be OK, whether it’s this league or any other league.”
Polo, 26, has been capped 31 times by Peru, and earned his most recent cap during a World Cup qualifying defeat to Argentina last November in Lima.
However he was not included in a squad for World Cup qualifiers against Colombia and Ecuador next month, and was not expected to feature in this year’s Copa America.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Muscat shrugs off Iniesta threat as Asian Champions League returns
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal