Rome (AFP) – One week before manager Roberto Mancini has to name his final 26-man squad, Italy remain hopeful that midfielder Marco Verratti could play a part in Euro 2020 despite a knee injury.
The 28-year-old was ruled out for “four to six weeks” by his club Paris Saint-Germain two weeks ago and is unlikely to be fit in time for the opening match against Turkey at the Stadio Olimpico on June 11.
“Regarding Verratti and the other players coming back from injuries, we have already carried out checks and we can’t exclude a recovery for any of them,” said team doctor Andrea Ferretti on Tuesday.
“The knee is not bad. We can also possibly imagine the chance that he will be used once the Euro has started.”
Verratti missed Euro 2016 with injury. Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World cup.
Other members of Mancini’s provisional 33-man squad carrying knocks are defender Leonardo Spinazzola and midfielder Lorenzo Pellegrini of Roma, defender Francesco Acerbi of Lazio and Inter Milan midfielder Stefano Sensi.
Coaches have until June 1 to name their official squads for the tournament.
Italy will also host Switzerland and Wales in Group A in Rome.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Brazil against replaying abandoned Argentina World Cup qualifier
- Real Madrid defeat Eintracht Frankfurt to win fifth UEFA Super Cup
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service
- ‘Very good’: Werner says Flick encouraged him to return to Leipzig
- Alexis Sanchez joins Marseille after leaving Inter
- CAF launches new Super League to boost clubs
- Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
- Qatar World Cup to start a day early on November 20: sources