London (AFP) – Brendan Rodgers says his players can “create an incredible legacy” if they become the first Leicester side to win the FA Cup on Saturday after four previous defeats in the final.
Leicester face Champions League finalists Chelsea in English football’s premier cup competition — the first time the Foxes have reached the showpiece occasion since 1969.
Several players, including talisman Jamie Vardy, remain from the team that produced one of the biggest shocks in English football history by winning the Premier League in 2016.
But many of the current crop were not in that side and Rodgers said they now had the possibility of making their own slice of history for the Thai-owned club.
A crowd of 21,000 will be at Wembley, with Chelsea and Leicester allocated 6,250 tickets each as part of a pilot to test the return of big crowds to venues during the coronavirus pandemic.
“We have earned the right to be in the final and we will arrive with an opportunity to make our own history,” Rodgers said on Thursday.
“We have watched it (the cup final) all through our lives. To be able to lead Leicester out for the first time in 50-odd years will be a real privilege for me.
“These weeks you always have to stay calm. This is a game where you can create an incredible legacy, you write your own stories in these games.”
Rodgers, whose side is also on track to qualify for next season’s Champions League, is hoping experienced central defender Jonny Evans will be fit to face Chelsea after missing two games with a heel injury.
“We’re giving him another day,” said Rodgers. “He has progressed really well in the last 24 hours. He looked very good and we’ll see what the reaction is after that and make the final decision tomorrow (Friday).
“It’s just a discussion between myself and Jonny. You always have to speak to the players and Jonny is a warrior.
“If there is any way he can play — even if he is not 100 percent — he will be out there.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more