Paris (AFP) – UEFA announced on Thursday that the Champions League final between Manchester City and Chelsea had been moved from Istanbul to Porto.
The match on May 29 has been switched to allow English spectators to attend as travel between the UK and Turkey is suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Earlier, European football’s governing body announced up to 6,000 supporters from each club will be able to attend.
“We accept that the decision of the British Government to place Turkey on the red list for travel was taken in good faith and in the best interests of protecting its citizens from the spread of the virus but it also presented us with a major challenge in staging a final featuring two English teams,” UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said in a statement.
“After the year that fans have endured, it is not right that they don’t have the chance to watch their teams in the biggest game of the season,” he added.
Earlier this week, newspaper reports claimed the match would be played at London’s Wembley Stadium.
“The difficulties of moving the final are great and the FA and the authorities made every effort to try to stage the match in England and I would like to thank them for their work in trying to make it happen,” Ceferin said.
UEFA said coronavirus rules in the UK made it difficult to hold the fixture in the English capital.
“UEFA discussed moving the match to England but, despite exhaustive efforts on the part of the Football Association and the authorities, it was not possible to achieve the necessary exemptions from UK quarantine arrangements,” it said.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- New CEO aims to make Bundesliga world’s ‘most digital league’
- UK government in talks with ‘international partners’ over Chelsea sale
- West Ham’s Bowen named in England squad for Nations League
- Bayern sign right-back Mazraoui from Ajax
- BBC apologises to fans after ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ gaffe
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold