Johannesburg (AFP) – Belgian Hugo Broos will replace sacked Molefi Ntseki as coach of South Africa, national football association chief executive Tebogo Motlanthe said in Johannesburg on Wednesday.
Broos, 69, coached Cameroon to the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations title, but was fired the following year after poor showings in the Confederation Cup and 2018 World Cup qualifiers.
He has signed a five-year contract with South Africa having been jobless since quitting as caretaker coach of Belgian club KV Oostende in 2019.
A defender who made 24 appearances for Belgium, his other experience of Africa was being employed by Algerian clubs JS Kabylie and NA Hussein Dey during a 33-year coaching career.
Motlanthe said Broos was chosen due to his “experience and ability and passion to work with young players”.
“He has been watching our games and picked up where we are going wrong. The plan that he will be coming with will be to get (us) back to where we belong as a football country.”
Since winning the Cup of Nations for the only time as 1996 hosts, South Africa have steadily faded as an African powerhouse and were ranked 15th in the continent and 75th in the world last month.
South Africa are in a 2022 World Cup qualifying group with Ghana, Zimbabwe and Ethiopia, and only the team finishing first advances to the final elimination phase.
The first qualifiers, scheduled for June, are likely to be postponed until September because match venues in many countries do not meet international standards.
Ntseki was fired in March after South Africa lost in Sudan and failed to qualify for the 2021 Cup of Nations in Cameroon.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details