New Delhi (AFP) – Foreign players and staff of FC Goa will leave India “immediately”, the club said Thursday, as a growing number of countries impose bans on travellers over a massive spike in Covid-19 cases.
The South Asian nation of 1.3 billion people is battling a record-breaking rise that has seen it report more than 2.4 million infections over the past seven days.
The foreign staff were allowed to leave ahead of FC Goa’s last Asian Champions League match against the UAE’s Al Wahda in Goa on Thursday.
“While the AFC Champions League remains an important competition for FC Goa, the club management felt that the wellbeing of the players to be its first and foremost responsibility,” the Indian Super League side said in a statement.
“This comes as a pre-emptive measure in view of recent policies being taken by European and other countries in regards to travellers from India.”
FC Goa’s foreign contingent includes head coach Juan Ferrando, Spanish players Edu Bedia, Ivan Gonzalez and Jorge Ortiz and Australia’s James Donachie.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence
- Where to find Newcastle vs. Arsenal on US TV
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final