Berlin (AFP) – Borussia Dortmund remain four points from next season’s Champions League places as Raphael Guerreiro’s late goal helped seal a 2-0 home win over Union Berlin on Wednesday.
Dortmund have four games left to bridge the gap to the Champions League spots, but can boost their chances with a win at third-placed Wolfsburg on Saturday.
Dortmund took the lead in the first half at Signal Iduna Park when captain Marco Reus tapped home after Erling Braut Haaland’s penalty was saved.
Reus won the penalty when he went down in the area, but replays showed there was barely any contact from Union goalkeeper Andreas Luthe.
Union, who are pushing for a first appearance in Europe, made a bright start when Marcus Ingvartsen hit the crossbar after just 12 seconds.
The visitors also rattled the woodwork with an hour gone when Germany striker Max Kruse hit the post with a free-kick on 67 minutes.
England winger Jadon Sancho came on with 30 minutes left to make his 100th Bundesliga appearance having been sidelined since February by a leg injury.
Dortmund rode their luck before Guerreiro finished off a flowing move two minutes into added time.
Haaland combined with Julian Brandt for the goal.
Wolfsburg regained third from Eintracht Frankfurt with a 3-1 win at VfB Stuttgart as their Dutch striker Wout Weghorst netted his 20th league goal this season.
At the other end of the table, Mainz are now five points from the relegation places after their 1-0 win at Werder Bremen thanks to Adam Szalai’s early strike.
Mainz are home on Saturday to Bayern Munich, who need a win to be confirmed Bundesliga champions for the ninth straight season.
Borussia Moenchengldabch’s hopes of a top four finish to qualify for the Champions League were dented by conceding three second-half goals in a 3-2 defeat at mid-table Hoffenheim.
Gladbach were cruising with a 2-0 half-time lead after goals by Alassane Plea and Valentino Lazaro only for the hosts to roar back.
Croatia striker Andrej Kramaric fired home either side of a Ihlas Bebou goal in a devastating 18-minute spell.
The results leaves Gladbach four points from the European places.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family