Paris (AFP) – Fourth division Rumilly Vallieres qualified for the French Cup semi-finals on Tuesday with a 2-0 win over second-tier Toulouse.
Some of French football’s top outfits play Wednesday in other quarter-finals with Lyon taking on Monaco, and defending champions Paris Saint-Germain playing Angers.
“We are 90 minutes away from the Stade de France, said their coach Fatsah Amghar referring to the final. “Let’s see who we draw now, we’re hoping for a big fish.”
“Why not PSG,” Rumilly striker Glody Liongo said of his semi-final dreams.
But the team from the Upper Savoy mountainous region near the Italian and Swiss borders Rumilly Vallieres could find themselves with familiar foes in the draw for the semis if another fourth-tier team Canet Roussillon beat Montpellier later Tuesday.
Their win provides a refreshing reminder of the joys of open competition at a time when a group of elite clubs have announced plans to organise a closed shop European Super League.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find USMNT U-20 vs. Honduras U-20 on US TV
- Vitinha joins PSG in club’s first off-season signing
- Serie A reaches TV rights deal with Abu Dhabi Media
- ESPN reveals Women’s Euro 2022 commentators and analysts
- Barcelona sell 10% of Liga TV rights to US fund
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia