London (AFP) – Tottenham joked they would “gloss over” an embarrassing incident after paint supplier Dulux was forced to apologise for mocking the Premier League club on Twitter.
Spurs announced on Thursday that Dulux, whose brand mascot is an old English sheepdog, had become their official paint supplier, with the dog getting a tour of their stadium and training ground.
But they were soon mocked by their new partner in hastily deleted tweets, with the social media team giving the club the brush-off.
Responding to other users’ tweets, the company made fun of Tottenham’s lack of recent silverware, posting a picture of an empty trophy cabinet being for sale, then made a barb about the club’s defenders.
In a reply to a tweet asking whether the Dulux dog could play at centre-back, the company tweeted: “He might do a better job”.
Dulux eventually commented on the inappropriate tweets, apologising to Spurs fans, who have not celebrated silverware since 2008.
The company said on Twitter: “We’re deeply sorry for the posts from Dulux this morning in response to the announcement of our relationship with @SpursOfficial. These do not reflect how proud we are to be the official paint supplier of the club.
“We’re investigating what happened and apologise to all Spurs fans.”
Spurs accepted the apology, joking: “We’ll gloss over it this time.”
The club also tweeted a picture of one of their players with the Dulux dog’s face in place of his face, making further light of the incident.
The tweets made a splash as Dulux was the second top trend on Twitter in Britain but manager Jose Mourinho was apparently in the dark in his press conference ahead of Friday’s trip to Everton.
When he was asked about the Dulux dog, Mourinho replied: “What’s that?”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more