Milan (AFP) – Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon was on Tuesday handed a one-match ban for blasphemy which would rule him out of next weekend’s Turin derby.
The 43-year-old Italian World Cup winner had been fined 5,000 euros ($6,000) last month by the Italian Football Federation, but escaped a ban.
However, the FIGC’s Court of Appeal upheld the Federal Prosecutor’s appeal and imposed a ban, meaning Buffon will be ruled out of Saturday’s game at Torino.
Buffon was overheard using a “blasphemous expression” towards teammate Manolo Portanova during Juve’s 4-0 league win over Parma on December 19.
Buffon, who holds the record for Serie A matches played with 654, was not caught on camera but there was an audio recording of the incident.
Since 2010, the Italian FA have taken disciplinary action against several players and coaches heard disrespecting God or the sacred.
But the penalties have increased this season with empty stadiums allowing the microphones and cameras to capture heated exchanges between players and coaches.
AS Roma midfielder Bryan Cristante and Lazio’s Manuel Lazzari were both suspended for a match this season for “blasphemous” remarks.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Thomas Partey’s health is necessary for Arsenal and Ghana
- Vinícius and Foden should be in the ‘best young talent’ talk
- US Soccer releases report detailing abusive behavior in NWSL
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV