Dublin (AFP) – The Republic of Ireland fell to a shock 1-0 defeat by minnows Luxembourg in their 2022 World Cup qualifier in Dublin on Saturday with the home team described as “embarrassing” by their own captain.
Dynamo Kiev midfielder Gerson Rodrigues condemned the Irish to their second defeat in as many Group A games with a superb long-range effort five minutes from the end.
“It was a horrible and embarrassing night,” Ireland skipper Seamus Coleman told the BBC.
“We got what we deserved which was nothing. I don’t think we demanded the ball enough and looked to break them down as quickly as we could.”
Ireland sit bottom of the group on zero points, four behind leaders Serbia and Portugal who drew 2-2 in Belgrade.
Luxembourg meanwhile are a point behind the two leading teams after a rare World Cup qualifying victory for the tiny country.
The win at the Aviva Stadium came thanks to smart play from the 25-year-old Rodrigues, who pounced on a knockdown to lash home his sixth international goal.
Luxembourg have never qualified for a major tournament and have little chance of making it out of the five-team Group G and to next year’s finals in Qatar.
However, despite hailing from a country with a smaller population than many provincial European cities, Luc Holtz’s side inflicted an humiliating defeat on Ireland.
Stephen Kenny is still looking for his first win as Ireland boss, with his run of games without a win since taking charge last year now at 10.
His next opportunity will come on Tuesday when Ireland face World Cup hosts Qatar in a friendly in the Hungarian city of Debrecen.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family