Newcastle (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Jamaal Lascelles rescued Newcastle with a last-gasp equaliser as the Premier League strugglers earned a 1-1 draw in a dramatic finale against Aston Villa on Friday.
Steve Bruce’s side fell behind with only four minutes left at St James’ Park when Newcastle defender Ciaran Clark deflected Ollie Watkins’ header into his own net.
But Newcastle captain Lascelles bailed out his troubled team just seconds from the final whistle at St James’ Park.
Despite the nerve-jangling escape, Newcastle are without a win in their last five league matches and the threat of sinking into the Championship grows more serious by the week.
They are just two points above the relegation zone and both third bottom Fulham and fourth bottom Brighton would go above them if they win this weekend.
The Magpies were 10 points clear of Fulham last month, but now Bruce is fighting to avoid the sack as a turbulent season reaches boiling point.
The former Manchester United defender has been involved in a dressing room row with Newcastle winger Matt Ritchie, while feuding with the media and enduring criticism from frustrated fans.
Next week’s clash against Brighton looms as a defining moment in the campaign for Newcastle.
In the absence of the injured Callum Wilson, Newcastle striker Dwight Gayle was handed just a second start of the season.
Newcastle had failed to win any of six league games when Wilson was absent this season and once again they were impotent without him.
Villa lost Bertrand Traore to an injury after the winger collided with an advertising board.
Despite that blow, Villa had the upper hand and Martin Dubravka had to race off his line to stop Watkins in his tracks.
Dubravka was called into action again to repel Trezeguet’s stinging strike from a tight angle.
Bruce’s men desperately needed a stroke of luck to get on the scoresheet and Villa defender Matt Targett nearly gifted them one when his miscued header forced Emiliano Martinez to save.
Jacob Murphy came off the bench for Newcastle and nearly made an instant impact, cutting inside the Villa area for a curling strike that cannoned back off the bar.
Villa snatched the lead in the 86th minute when Watkins stooped to meet Targett’s cross with a header that hit Clark on the knee and went in off the woodwork.
Newcastle refused to surrender and Joelinton’s effort was saved by Martinez before Lascelles saved the day.
In the fourth minute of stoppage-time, the defender rose highest to thump his header past Martinez from Murphy’s cross.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Slaven Bilić becomes Watford’s 17th full-time manager since 2012
- Where to find Hungary vs. Italy on US TV
- Where to find England vs. Germany on US TV
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record