Sao Paulo (AFP) – Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro triggered controversy Friday by naming Alexi “Cuca” Stival as their new coach, despite his conviction for sexually assaulting a minor 34 years ago.
Cuca, 57, will replace Jorge Sampaoli, who quit the team last week to take the reins at French club Marseille.
It marks the second stint at Atletico Mineiro for Cuca, who led them to victory in the Copa Libertadores in 2013.
But his return sparked an outcry among some fans because of his conviction for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl in Switzerland in 1987.
“Bringing Cuca back… means ignoring the violence suffered by women, including fans of this club, and reviving feelings we would rather forget,” said a statement from La Grupa, an Atletico Mineiro women’s fan club.
The case against Cuca dates back to his playing days with Gremio de Porto Alegre in the 1980s, when the team were on a European tour.
He and three other players were arrested on charges of assaulting the teenage girl at the team’s hotel.
They spent a month in jail, but Cuca had left Switzerland by the time he was convicted in absentia, in 1989.
He never served his 15-month prison sentence.
Cuca, who coached Brazilian club Santos to runners-up in the Copa Libertadores final in January, denies wrongdoing.
He told Brazilian news site UOL he was “guilty of nothing” and that the case against him was fabricated.
“Concerning the old case involving our coach’s name, the club understands that the matter is closed,” Atletico Mineiro said in a statement.
“Atletico Mineiro trusts in its coach and his words, and, above all, his actions.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Hungary vs. Italy on US TV
- Where to find England vs. Germany on US TV
- Sling Blue, Peacock and Paramount+ provide the best games for less
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar