Madrid (AFP) – Barcelona confirmed on Thursday Gerard Pique has suffered a knee injury, with the defender facing a struggle to be fit to face Paris Saint-Germain in next week’s Champions League last 16, second leg.
Pique has just returned from three months out due to a partial cruciate ligament injury in the same right knee.
But the Spaniard’s latest problem, sustained in the Copa del Rey win over Sevilla on Wednesday night, is not thought to be as serious.
According to Catalan newspaper Mundo Deportivo, Pique underwent “relevant medical tests after the match and it was found that there was no serious relapse of the knee injury that forced him to be three months out”.
Pique is expected now to miss Saturday’s La Liga game at Osasuna, with the hope he might still be able to face PSG in Paris four days later. Barcelona were beaten 4-1 in the first leg last month.
A Barca statement read: “The tests carried out this morning have shown that Gerard Pique has a sprain in the internal lateral ligament of his right knee.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’