Johannesburg (AFP) – Al Hilal of Sudan and TP Mazembe of the Democratic Republic of Congo drew 0-0 in Omdurman on Wednesday, leaving Mamelodi Sundowns of South Africa top of Group B in the CAF Champions League.
Sundowns have three points, Mazembe two and CR Belouizdad and Hilal one each with the South African and Algerian clubs playing their second round match only this Sunday.
The delayed fixture is set for Tanzanian commercial capital Dar es Salaam after Algerian authorities refused to allow Sundowns to enter the country because of coronavirus regulations.
It was the fifth time Hilal have hosted Mazembe in the marquee African club competition and the first time they have failed to score at home against the five-time Champions League winners.
A strong wind may have been welcomed by the players as they contended with 28 degrees celsius (82 fahrenheit) heat, but it led to a lot of poor football.
Hilal made four substitutions and Mazembe three without having much impact on a match which both teams seemed more determined not to lose than win.
Mazembe were reduced to 10 men in the closing minutes when Cameroonian Cedric Zemba was red-carded after being cautioned twice.
The Hilal line-up included Alvas Elvis Powell, a Jamaican international defender who moved to Sudan last year from Major League Soccer outfit Inter Miami.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season