Berlin (AFP) – Borussia Dortmund on Monday accepted a fine of 75,000 euros ($91,260) after their players broke the German league’s hygiene rules with an impromptu victory celebration on the team bus after last weekend’s derby win against Schalke.
The German Football League (DFL) issued the fine after footage emerged of Dortmund players celebrating Saturday on the team bus without masks and without observing social distancing rules.
The club quickly accepted the fine having issued an apology on Sunday as Germany has been in lockdown since November amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The DFL took a dim view of the incident after around 200 fans were also allowed to gather outside the club’s training ground to greet the team bus arriving in Dortmund after Saturday’s 4-0 away win.
“There is no question that the derby is a special game. Nevertheless, the club has the responsibility to control and monitor compliance with the rules,” the DFL said in a statement.
“All matches must be held in compliance with the currently valid medical-hygienic concept, including the arrival and departure” of teams.
Dortmund said they would consult with police and the relevant authorities to stop similar scenes happening in future.
Star striker Erling Braut Haaland netted two goals, including a spectacular volley, while England winger Jadon Sancho also scored in the emphatic win.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso