London (AFP) – Marcelo Bielsa said on Monday it would be better for Leeds to wait until the end of the season before deciding whether to extend his contract.
The Argentine, who signed a one-year extension to his deal after Leeds won promotion to the Premier League last year, insisted that did not mean he does not want to stay at Elland Road.
“The first thing I want to highlight, because what it seems like is that the president is offering me an extension and I am delaying it,” said the Leeds boss.
“It could be interpreted as the club having more of a desire for me to stay than I do and that’s not the case.
“In no way do I want to position myself above the club. I reiterate, I am not going to manage any other options until my job here at Leeds is done. There is no speculation from my part.”
Leeds, who returned to the Premier League after a 16-year absence, are 12th in the table after a disappointing run of three defeats in their past four matches.
But they have won rave reviews for their adventurous attacking play and are 10 points clear of the relegation zone.
Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani has made it clear he wants 65-year-old Bielsa to remain in his role and that the club are waiting for the Argentine’s decision.
Bielsa, whose team host Southampton on Tuesday, said results in the last third of the season could alter the scenario.
“If the club needs an answer before the end of the season, I will respond before the end of the season,” he said.
“But if this happens I will take the time to tell them that they should consider what happens in the last part of the season.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Osasuna vs. Sevilla on US TV
- Tottenham’s Premier League title credentials face Chelsea test
- Removing ‘camouflage,’ Brazil football referee comes out
- Wolfsburg’s Kovac returns to Bayern Munich with a point to prove
- Berlusconi’s Monza aiming high ahead of debut Serie A campaign
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar
- Telemundo World Cup studio talent for Qatar announced
- How Paramount+ can improve its soccer streaming
- Sterling could not waste peak years at Man City on the bench