Glasgow (AFP) – Rangers need just seven points from their final eight games of the season to clinch a first Scottish Premiership title in 10 years after Celtic lost 1-0 at Ross County on Sunday.
Earlier in the day, Rangers thrashed Dundee United 4-1 to open up an 18-point lead at the top of the table.
Rangers can now be crowned champions when they visit Celtic Park on March 21.
That would round off a disastrous season for Celtic as Neil Lennon’s men suffered the latest in a series of embarrassing results in the Highlands.
County started the game bottom of the table, but gave their chances of survival a huge boost when Jordan Whyte’s header 19 minutes from time claimed all three points to move John Hughes’s men up to 10th.
By contrast, Steven Gerrard’s men showed no sign of fatigue from a thrilling 4-3 win over Royal Antwerp in the first leg of their Europa League last 32 tie on Thursday as three goals in 13 minutes either side of half-time ensured a comfortable afternoon at Ibrox.
“We have just got to finish the job off,” said Gerrard, who never won a league title in a legendary career at Liverpool as a player.
“The games are there for us, the opportunity is there for us but the big reminder to myself, staff, players, supporters and anyone else that is covering us is that we have won nothing yet.
“The main thing that has pleased me at the moment is that the players are really in the zone. I can see the focus, I can see the determination.”
Ianis Hagi opened the scoring when he deflected Joe Aribo’s shot home 10 minutes before the break.
Ryan Kent quickly killed the game as a contest as his volley took a deflection on its way in.
Aribo’s stunning strike made it 3-0 before Rangers were gifted a fourth when United goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist’s clearance rebounded in off Alfredo Morelos.
Moments later Morelos was brought down for a penalty, but Siegrist made amends to deny Borna Barisic from the spot.
Rangers conceded for just the second time in 15 home league games this season four minutes from time when Mark McNulty pulled a consolation back for the visitors.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family