Glasgow (AFP) – Rangers closed to within three wins of a first Scottish Premiership title in 10 years by thrashing Dundee United 4-1 on Sunday to open up an 18-point lead over Celtic.
Steven Gerrard’s men showed no sign of fatigue from a thrilling 4-3 win over Royal Antwerp in the first leg of their Europa League last 32 tie on Thursday as three goals in 13 minutes either side of half-time ensured a comfortable afternoon at Ibrox.
Ianis Hagi opened the scoring when he deflected Joe Aribo’s shot home 10 minutes before the break.
Ryan Kent quickly killed the game as a contest as his volley took a deflection on its way in.
Aribo’s stunning strike made it 3-0 before Rangers were gifted a fourth when United goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist’s clearance rebounded in off Alfredo Morelos.
Moments later Morelos was brought down for a penalty, but Siegrist made amends to deny Borna Barisic from the spot.
Rangers conceded for just the second time in 15 home league games this season four minutes from time when Mark McNulty pulled a consolation back for the visitors.
Celtic can cut the gap at the top back to 15 points when they travel to Ross County later.
But the Hoops chase of their Glasgow rivals looks a forlorn one and Rangers could seal the title when the two meet at Celtic Park next month.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Three talking points from the Premier League’s opening weekend
- Former Man Utd star Giggs goes on trial for assault
- Marseille win Ligue 1 season opener, Ramsey scores on Nice debut
- Lewandowski scores first Barcelona goal in Pumas rout
- Sundowns start season as they ended the last by topping table
- Haaland warns Premier League much more to come after dream debut
- RB Leipzig held at Stuttgart, Cologne defeat 10-man Schalke
- Haaland double gives Man City dream start, Man Utd beaten by Brighton
- Haaland’s debut double gives Man City’s title defence lift off
- Dortmund sign Cologne striker Modeste as Haller replacement