London (AFP) – England and Manchester United’s all-time record goalscorer Wayne Rooney has urged the Premier League to get rid of the use of VAR as it is ruining the emotion of football for players and fans.
Rooney is in his first managerial job with Derby in the Championship, which does not have VAR in place due to financial restrictions.
“Watching the Premier League games, some of the decisions are very frustrating through VAR and you don’t understand how they have got to that decision,” said Rooney ahead of the Rams’ trip to Wycombe on Tuesday.
“I personally think the game’s better without it. Even though you are frustrated at times after games, we have to rely on the referees to do the job the best they can.
“Even though you don’t agree with some decisions, we have to let them do the job and respect their views on it.”
Rooney was never shy of voicing his opinion to officials as a player, but believes it is a connection with fans that could be lost due to VAR even when stadiums are opened back up.
“It takes the emotion out of the moment,” he added. “I remember some of the goals I scored when I could have been onside or offside. You take a glance over and see the linesman’s flag is down and you carry on with your celebration.
“It’s the one time the fans feel connected to their club and their player when they are celebrating a goal together. Take that away and you lose that connection players have with fans.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Barcelona sell 10% of Liga TV rights to US fund
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup