Milan (AFP) – Serie B side SPAL shocked top-flight Sassuolo 2-0 on Thursday to advance to the quarter-finals of the Italian Cup where they next take on Juventus.
SPAL are the only remaining Serie B side left in the competition after holders Napoli beat second-division leaders Empoli 3-2 on Wednesday.
In the clash between two sides from Emilia-Romagna, Sassuolo played the second half a man down after Filip Djuricic was sent off just after the break for fouling Leonardo Sernicola.
SPAL took the lead just after Djuricic’s exit with Simone Missiroli finishing off a Demba Seck cross with Lorenzo Dickmann volleying in the second just before the hour against their rivals who are fifth in Serie A.
SPAL next meet former 13-time winners Juventus who beat Genoa 3-2 on Wednesday after the match went to extra time.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season