Johannesburg (AFP) – Uganda drew 1-1 with host country Cameroon in a fiery African Nations Championship (CHAN) warm-up match despite having a player sent off after only 12 minutes.
Ben Ocen was shown a straight red card following his reckless challenge on Alfred Meyong at Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo, the 42,500-capacity national stadium in Yaounde.
Cameroon went ahead through Banga Bindjelme just a minute after Uganda were reduced to 10 men, but Milton Karisa levelled on 70 minutes and the home side had Basile Yamkam red-carded in the final minute.
Here, AFP Sport rounds up African football news.
Cameroon will face Niger and Zambia in other friendly matches as the central African nation prepares to host a major Confederation of African Football (CAF) male tournament for the first time since 1972.
The Nations Championship kicks off on January 16 in Yaounde with a Group A clash between Cameroon and Zimbabwe, and Burkina Faso and Mali meet later in the second half of a double-header.
Group winners and runners-up advance to the quarter-finals of a tournament reserved for footballers playing in their country of birth.
Ayoub el Kaabi, whose nine goals helped hosts Morocco win the Nations Championship for the first time three years ago, has been included in a 34-man preliminary squad for Cameroon.
His CHAN feats won him a contract with Chinese outfit Hebei Fortune, but the 27-year-old has since returned home to play for two-time African champions Wydad Casablanca.
Half the squad is composed of stars from the top three Moroccan clubs — Renaissance Berkane (seven) and Raja Casablanca and Wydad (five each).
Zambia surrendered a two-goal advantage in a 3-3 draw with fellow qualifiers Niger in another Yaounde warm-up match before the sixth edition of the Nations Championship.
After an early Collins Sikombe goal for the Zambians was cancelled by Ibrahim Essa, Moses Phiri gave the southern Africa nation a 2-1 half-time lead.
Sikombe doubled the advantage with his second goal before Essa netted again and Moussa Issa equalised with only three minutes remaining.
Five-time African champions Zamalek joined fierce rivals Al Ahly in second place in the Egyptian Premier League thanks to a 2-1 away victory over ENPPI.
Both star-studded Cairo outfits have 10 points from four outings, one point less than frontrunners El Gouna, who have played one match more.
Moroccan Achraf Bencharki and Youssef ‘Obama’ Ibrahim gave the White Knights a two-goal half-time advantage that was halved midway through the second half when Rami Sabry netted.
Mamelodi Sundowns took a three-point lead in the South African Premiership after edging Orlando Pirates 1-0 in a ninth-round showdown between previously unbeaten sides.
Kenya defender Brian Onyango was the unexpected match-winner, heading into the net from close range on 35 minutes after Pirates failed to clear a free-kick.
Defending champions Sundowns have 21 points from nine matches, three more than promoted Swallows, who host Cape Town City Tuesday.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family