Berlin (AFP) – Borussia Dortmund revealed Thursday they have given star striker Erling Braut Haaland permission to receive treatment for a hip injury in Qatar, despite the coronavirus pandemic.
The 20-year-old, who has scored 33 goals in 32 games for Dortmund, is out until January with a torn hip muscle and is being treated in Qatar.
“It was his wish to go through rehab there,” explained sports director Michael Zorc.
“He is surrounded by experts who are in close contact with our medical department.
“That’s why we have agreed to the request.”
Germany ordered a new round of shutdowns in November and the daily rate of new infections of the coronavirus has been around 20,000 for weeks.
Zorc justified giving Haaland permission by saying they expect him to “adhere to the applicable hygiene rules and come back here before Christmas”.
Dortmund have qualified for the last 16 of the Champions League as group winners and are fourth in the Bundesliga before Saturday’s match at Stuttgart.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22