Buenos Aires (AFP) – Argentine coach Alejandro Sabella, who led the national team to the final of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, has died at the age of 66 from cancer, local media reported on Tuesday.
Sabella, who played for Leeds United and Sheffield United during his career as a midfielder, had picked up a virus while receiving treatment in a Buenos Aires clinic and his health deteriorated.
A former player and coach with Estudiantes, where he won the Argentine title as a player and the Copa Libertadores when the boss, the silky midfielder also played for Argentine giants River Plate, winning the league there too.
His coaching career was short, though, spending two years with Estudiantes and three more in charge of the national team.
But his tenure ended with a 1-0 defeat to Germany in the World Cup final as Lionel Messi failed to inspire Argentina to a third title.
As a coach he focused on the team ethic and was popular amongst his players.
And while Messi couldn’t inspire his team to World Cup victory, the six-time Ballon d’Or winner scored the clincher against Sabella’s Estudiantes team in 2009 in the Club World Cup final for a star-studded Barcelona coached by Pep Guardiola.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Inzaghi conquers Inter Milan despite title disappointment
- Ivan Perisic’s Inter future in doubt after stunning season
- Fuelled by Premier League dynasty, Man City crave Champions League legacy
- Barcelona finish with defeat by Villarreal, Granada go down
- Man City win Premier League title after epic fightback
- AC Milan back on top after snatching title from Inter
- Rangnick relieved to secure Europa League spot for Man Utd
- Marsch hails Leeds players’ character after escaping the drop
- What are the groups for World Cup 2022?
- Vieira calls for ‘safety at work’ after pitch invasion incidents