Paris (AFP) – Marseille put their humiliating losing run in the Champions League to one side as Florian Thauvin and Dimitri Payet were among the scorers in a 3-1 win over Nantes in Ligue 1 on Saturday.
Thauvin lobbed over the advancing goalkeeper and in for the opener inside two minutes at the Velodrome, and Payet side-footed in the second for his 50th goal in a Marseille shirt.
Dario Benedetto made it three from a penalty in the second half before Ludovic Blas pulled a goal back for Nantes, who continue to languish in the lower reaches of the table.
It was a fourth straight Ligue 1 victory for Marseille, in stark contrast to their European form.
They move provisionally up to third in the table, and continue to have games in hand on the sides around them.
Andre Villas-Boas’s team suffered a Champions League record 13th straight defeat in the competition in midweek when they went down 2-0 at home to Porto, a result which eliminated them in the group stage.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- What is still at stake in Europe’s top leagues
- Granada aim to seal La Liga survival in three-way relegation fight
- Qatar World Cup marks last dance for Messi and Ronaldo
- Bordeaux, Saint-Etienne stand over relegation trapdoor on last day of season
- Lyon out to reclaim Women’s Champions League crown from Barcelona
- Epic Everton comeback secures survival as Vieira kicks out at fan
- How Frank Lampard rescued Everton to Premier League safety
- Everton seal Premier League survival after epic escape, Burnley out of bottom three
- Everton’s epic comeback beats Palace to secure survival
- Hamburg close in on Bundesliga return after win in Berlin