Madrid (AFP) – Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa has suffered a blood clot in his right leg, the club confirmed on Wednesday.
Costa will miss Atletico’s Champions League game at home to Lokomotiv Moscow on Wednesday and is expected to be out for at least a month.
That would mean the 32-year-old also sitting out La Liga games against Valencia and Real Madrid in the next few weeks, as well as the last two Champions League group fixtures against Bayern Munich and RB Salzburg.
Atletico sit second in Group A after taking four points from their opening three games.
“Diego Costa underwent tests this morning that confirmed he has suffered a spontaneous deep vein thrombosis in the right leg. It is not related to trauma or previous injury,” a statement from Atletico read.
Costa has just recovered from a separate muscle injury that has caused him to miss Atletico’s last four matches.
Diego Simeone is already short of forwards, with Luis Suarez sidelined due to a positive test for coronavirus.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Real Madrid will keep winning without Mbappe, says Casemiro
- New CEO aims to make Bundesliga world’s ‘most digital league’
- UK government in talks with ‘international partners’ over Chelsea sale
- West Ham’s Bowen named in England squad for Nations League
- Bayern sign right-back Mazraoui from Ajax
- BBC apologises to fans after ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ gaffe
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat