London (AFP) – Pep Guardiola has ended speculation over his Manchester City future after signing a new two-year contract extension on Thursday.
Guardiola was due to be out of contract at the end of this season and it had been suggested the Spaniard might be ready to leave City.
But the 49-year-old has now agreed to stay at the Etihad Stadium until at least 2023.
“Manchester City are pleased to announce that Pep Guardiola has signed a new two-year deal with the club,” a statement on City’s website said.
Former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss Guardiola is midway through his fifth campaign with the Premier League and his new deal will extend what is already his longest stay at any club.
He has won two Premier League titles, three League Cups and the FA Cup with City, although winning the club’s first Champions League crown has proved elusive so far.
“Ever since I arrived at Manchester City I have been made to feel so welcome in the club and in the city itself – from the players, the staff, the supporters, the people of Manchester and the chairman and owner,” Guardiola said.
“Since then we have achieved a great deal together, scored goals, won games and trophies, and we are all very proud of that success.
“Having that kind of support is the best thing any manager can have. I have everything I could possibly want to do my job well and I am humbled by the confidence the owner, chairman, Ferran (Soriano) and Txiki (Begiristain) have shown in me to continue for two more years after this season.
“The challenge for us is to continue improving and evolving and I am very excited about helping Manchester City do that.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Bronze to leave Women’s Super League club Man City
- Ibrahimovic endured sleepless nights to deliver Serie A title for Milan
- Man Utd report revenue increase despite ‘disappointing’ season
- FIFPro sounds alarm over player workloads ahead of Champions League final
- Vote for the 2026 World Cup host cities in North America
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant again
- Liverpool’s Diaz from indigenous community that breeds ‘toughness’
- Mbappe’s PSG to play three games in Japan in July
- The Spaniard raised at Barcelona who made Hong Kong football history
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant once more