Berlin (AFP) – Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Waztke revealed Thursday that each home game held without fans costs the Bundesliga club four million euros ($4.7 million) in lost revenue.
Dortmund’s Signal Iduna Park is the biggest stadium in Germany and can host 81,000 spectators.
Fans are currently locked out of all Bundesliga matches as part of government measures to restrict the spread of the coronavirus.
Last season’s Bundesliga runners-up closed the 2019/20 financial year with a loss of 44 million euros after last season was disrupted by Covid-19.
In Thursday’s annual general meeting, held online because of the pandemic, Watzke said he fears losses of up to 75 million euros this season.
However, the Dortmund boss gave assurances that the club has “sufficient liquidity to ensure that there is no danger” to their existence.
As well as revealing the scale of lost revenue for each home game, Watzke said salary waivers for their squad and club employees has saved around 11 million euros.
Dortmund start the weekend third in the Bundesliga table having lost 3-2 at home to leader Bayern Munich before the international break.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Abramovich says owning Chelsea ‘honour of lifetime’ as sale set for completion
- Western United upset Melbourne City to win A-League final
- Liverpool and Real Madrid ready for mouth-watering Champions League final
- Chelsea sale to Boehly consortium to be completed on Monday
- Liverpool and Real Madrid ready for Champions League final rematch
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Real Madrid on US TV
- Hrustic, Rogic spearhead Australia squad for crunch World Cup playoff
- Deal Alert: Best streaming deals this Memorial Day Weekend
- Africa beckons for Royal after dramatic draw with Orlando Pirates
- Regret? Skupski prioritises French Open over Champions League ticket