Geneva (AFP) – Switzerland’s Liverpool forward Xherdan Shaqiri has finally returned a negative Covid-19 test, but that of Borussia Dortmund’s Manuel Akanji came back positive, the Swiss football federation announced on Thursday.
Shaqiri had joined up with the national set-up at the start of the week hoping to make his first appearance for his country since June 2019.
The federation, however, initially announced on Tuesday he had tested positive, but the written results received Thursday in fact showed a negative.
It is not certain that Shaqiri, who missed Wednesday’s friendly against Croatia, will play against Spain in the Nations League on Saturday, although he will travel with the squad.
“UEFA’s health committee must now decide whether he’s able to play on Saturday. At this stage, it’s impossible to know when the decision will be taken,” the federation added.
“Manuel Akanji is in isolation and is still not showing any symptoms,” it added.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family