Berlin (AFP) – Bayern Munich back-up goalkeeper Sven Ulreich has joined second-division side Hamburg on a three-year contract, the European champions confirmed Saturday.
The 32-year-old spent the last five years as under-study to Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, winning five German league titles and three German Cup final wins in Munich.
He was part of the squad which won the Champions League in August and has been signed by Hamburg to replace Julian Pollersbeck, who has joined Lyon.
Ulreich has made 70 appearances for Bayern and started 29 Bundesliga games in 2017/18, as well as 11 in the Champions League that season when Neuer was injured.
However, he faces competition to under-study Neuer, 34, since Bayern signed Alexander Nuebel, 24, joined from Schalke.
“Sven is a great team player, when Manuel Neuer injured himself in 2017, Sven stepped in really well,” said Bayern sports director Hasan Salihamidzic.
“Hamburg are getting an internationally experienced goalkeeper who can take on a leadership role.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV