Berlin (AFP) – Borussia Dortmund’s head of player department Sebastian Kehl said on Thursday they could stop their players from featuring for Germany in the Nations League next month due to coronavirus worries.
Joachim Loew’s side travel to Ukraine on October 10, a country which is classed as a Covid-19 red zone due to its high number of cases.
“We’re working to find solutions, but we reserve the right to not make the players available, as long as there’s no rule allowing the players to play immediately after they return,” Kehl told specialist magazine Kicker.
The publication claimed the managers of champions Bayern Munich and Leipzig hold the same view.
Rules in Germany state people returning from risk zones must be placed in quarantine before receiving a virus test result.
Ahead of September’s international matches FIFA adapted its rules regarding players in areas with high numbers of the virus.
Despite the clubs’ worries the German Football Association’s director Oliver Bierhoff said the visit to the Ukrainian capital would last 36 hours and the team would stay away from the public.
“We will stay there in a bubble.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Cash-strapped African clubs eagerly await Super League riches
- Real Madrid motivated ahead of Frankfurt Super Cup clash
- Raza at the controls of high-flying Zimbabwe
- Southampton has early red flags in this Premier League campaign
- Sarr both Watford’s hero and villain in West Brom draw
- Everton sign England’s Coady on season-long loan from Wolves
- Dortmund complete Modeste signing from Cologne
- Darkhorse Denmark brings recent triumphs to World Cup 2022
- Former Man Utd star Giggs accused of ‘litany of abuse’ at assault trial
- Holders Wydad Casablanca among 58 CAF Champions League hopefuls