As we enter the final weeks of the transfer window, clubs from all over Europe are being linked with players on seemingly an hourly basis. Two names that, however, have been continuously linked with Arsenal specifically are Houssem Aouar and Thomas Partey.
Both players are outstanding talents and valued somewhere between $55 million and $70 million. Both midfielders would also improve practically any team on the planet as well. However, in this price range, the Gunners could possibly only sign just one of the dynamic duo. With this in mind, let’s take a look at which player Arsenal could, or perhaps should, sign.
Why Arsenal would choose Aouar
The Lyon midfielder is seen as a rising star among the European big boys. Just turned 22 this summer, the young Frenchman appears to have a bright future ahead. Dynamic, creative, and versatile, Aouar is fun to watch in the middle of the pitch. The midfielder is a fantastic offensive outlet receiving the ball from his fellow defenders (or deep-lying midfielders).
Pushing the ball forward in transition, Aouar is an outstanding dribbler and ball carrier. Ranking inside the top 15 in Ligue 1 in players dribbled past, passes into the final 3rd, and goal-creating actions, the Frenchman is a solid link between midfield and goal-scoring forwards. This is a specific area in which Arsenal struggled with during the 2019/20 Premier League campaign.
Arsenal finished 10th in the league in dribbles, 9th in goal-creating actions, and 15th in shot-creating actions last season. Aouar would seemingly fill a massive void in Arsenal’s creative department. Although the north London club’s defense receives much criticism, this current team also needs help in feeding sharpshooter Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Why Arsenal would choose Partey
Atletico Madrid’s midfield enforcer is currently in the prime of his career. Now 27, Partey would seamlessly fit into just about any top team in the world. Although normally classified as a defensive midfielder, the Ghana international is certainly much more than that. He can just sit in front of the of his team’s back line of defense, but Partey is also capable of pushing forward as well.
Statistically one of the best dribblers from the middle of the pitch in Europe (89% success rate), Partey has the ability to push forward and turn defense into offense out of practically nothing. Though his assists and key passes obviously aren’t plentiful, he does transition well and make the smart pass to his more creative teammates. And as a ‘defensive’ midfielder, the Ghanaian also ranks high in interceptions and tackles among La Liga players.
The Gunners could go with Partey to help stabilize their defense, while also creating some offensive opportunities as well. They could also hope that Dani Ceballos, Nicolas Pepe, and newcomer Willian will create enough chances for Aubameyang and company up front.
Arsenal really can’t go wrong with either player. Both would help the club, just in different ways. Obviously, Gunner fans from all over the world are hoping that their club signs both star midfielders; however, If it comes down to one or the other, the Arsenal brass don’t really have a bad option.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family