Lisbon (AFP) – Portuguese hacker Rui Pinto told a Lisbon court on Friday at the opening of his trial that his “Football Leaks” are “a reason for pride and not shame”.
“I was outraged by what I discovered and I decided to make it public,” the 31-year-old said in a brief initial statement at the start of a trial expected to last several months.
“My job as a whistleblower is over,” he added, his face covered by a mask. “I never did anything for money.”
The documents Rui Pinto hacked and released to news organisations as the “Football Leaks”, brought to light tax evasion and possible fraud and corruption involving star players and club officials.
Pinto faces 90 charges, including a series of computer offences and more seriously attempted blackmail against Doyen Sports, an investment fund, which triggered the investigation by filing a complaint in October 2015.
In Portugal, attempted extortion is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
His lawyers insist he is “a very important European whistleblower” and plan to call 45 witnesses, including Edward Snowden, a former employee of the American intelligence charged with espionage, and the former French financial judge Eva Joly.
After leaking the hacked documents in 2016, Pinto fled Portugal and took refuge in Hungary where he spent four years there before being tracked down and extradited by Portugal in March 2019. On his return he was put in pre-trial detention for a year. He was released to house arrest after cooperating with Portuguese prosecutors by giving them access to a mass of encrypted unpublished documents.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family