London (AFP) – Steven Bergwijn ensured the Netherlands did not feel the absence of recently departed coach Ronald Koeman to beat Poland 1-0 in the Nations League, while Italy were held 1-1 by Bosnia and Herzegovina on Friday.
Koeman left to take charge of Barcelona last month, less than a year before he was due to lead his country to a major international tournament for the first time.
A rejuvenated Netherlands reached the final of the inaugural Nations League under Koeman last year after missing out on the 2018 World Cup.
Tottenham winger Bergwijn is one of a number of exciting young talents that make the Dutch among the favourites for next year’s Euros and he netted his first international goal by tapping home from close range on the hour mark to give caretaker boss Dwight Lodeweges the perfect start.
Also in Group 1, Italy extended their two-year unbeaten run but had to settle for a point against Bosnia in Florence.
Edin Dzeko put the visitors in front in the country where he plays his club football for Roma before Stefano Sensi levelled 10 minutes later.
Scotland and Israel drew 1-1 in a dress rehearsal of their Euro 2020 playoff semi-final back at Hampden next month.
Ryan Christie’s penalty late in the first-half masked a poor performance from Steve Clarke’s side, who were pegged back 17 minutes from time when Eran Zahavi drilled high into the far corner.
In the other game in the group, the Czech Republic shrugged off the disruption of key players Tomas Soucek and Patrik Schick being forced to self-isolate after coming into contact with a backroom staff member who tested positive for coronavirus.
The Czechs beat neighbours Slovakia 3-1 in Bratislava.
Gavin Whyte’s goal four minutes from time salvaged a 1-1 draw for Northern Ireland in Romania despite being down to 10 men for over 50 minutes after Josh Magennis’s first half red card.
Erling Haaland’s first international goal for Norway was not enough as the hosts lost 2-1 to Austria in Oslo.
Michael Gregoritsch and Marcel Sabitzer’s penalty put the visitors 2-0 in front before the Borussia Dortmund striker’s deft finish opened his international account.
In League C, Kazakhstan beat Lithuania 2-0, while Albania were 2-0 victors in Belarus.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- 2022 Brazil World Cup kits released in the wild
- UEFA Super Cup on TV: Real Madrid vs Frankfurt coverage plans
- Benfica, Kyiv, Eindhoven and Rangers into Champions League play-offs
- Youngsters Fernandez, Araujo help Benfica into Champions League play-offs
- Berkane set to face Nigerian club in quest for third CAF Cup title
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig
- Nigerian clubs out of luck in CAF Champions League draws
- ESPN renews English Football League rights deal
- Giggs assault trial: ex-girlfriend details ‘red flags’