London (AFP) – Steven Bergwijn ensured the Netherlands did not feel the absence of recently departed coach Ronald Koeman to beat Poland 1-0 in the Nations League, while Italy were held 1-1 by Bosnia and Herzegovina on Friday.
Koeman left to take charge of Barcelona last month, less than a year before he was due to lead his country to a major international tournament for the first time.
A rejuvenated Netherlands reached the final of the inaugural Nations League under Koeman last year after missing out on the 2018 World Cup.
Tottenham winger Bergwijn is one of a number of exciting young talents that make the Dutch among the favourites for next year’s Euros and he netted his first international goal by tapping home from close range on the hour mark to give caretaker boss Dwight Lodeweges the perfect start.
Also in Group 1, Italy extended their two-year unbeaten run but had to settle for a point against Bosnia in Florence.
Edin Dzeko put the visitors in front in the country where he plays his club football for Roma before Stefano Sensi levelled 10 minutes later.
Scotland and Israel drew 1-1 in a dress rehearsal of their Euro 2020 playoff semi-final back at Hampden next month.
Ryan Christie’s penalty late in the first-half masked a poor performance from Steve Clarke’s side, who were pegged back 17 minutes from time when Eran Zahavi drilled high into the far corner.
In the other game in the group, the Czech Republic shrugged off the disruption of key players Tomas Soucek and Patrik Schick being forced to self-isolate after coming into contact with a backroom staff member who tested positive for coronavirus.
The Czechs beat neighbours Slovakia 3-1 in Bratislava.
Gavin Whyte’s goal four minutes from time salvaged a 1-1 draw for Northern Ireland in Romania despite being down to 10 men for over 50 minutes after Josh Magennis’s first half red card.
Erling Haaland’s first international goal for Norway was not enough as the hosts lost 2-1 to Austria in Oslo.
Michael Gregoritsch and Marcel Sabitzer’s penalty put the visitors 2-0 in front before the Borussia Dortmund striker’s deft finish opened his international account.
In League C, Kazakhstan beat Lithuania 2-0, while Albania were 2-0 victors in Belarus.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family