Abidjan (AFP) – FIFA have called on the Ivory Coast Football Federation (FIF) to halt its election campaign after Didier Drogba’s bid was rejected, a letter seen by AFP on Friday showed.
FIF’s election has turned into a soap opera marred by incessant infighting and on Thursday the former Chelsea forward’s candidacy was thrown out as he had only received the official support of two of a required four Ivorian clubs.
“We request the suspension of all action in relation to the election process until further notice,” the document dated August 27 and sent to FIF said.
Drogba’s election team said on Thursday it expected FIF’s decision which claimed he was ineligible to run for the position.
“Drogba’s staff isn’t surprised by this decision to reject the bid. But we remain unfazed. We will react to conform to the texts which surround this election,” Mahamadou Sangare, a member of Drogba’s team, told AFP.
Drogba also has the backing of the association for the former and its current players equivalent and has five days to appeal FIF’s decision.
The ex-Elephants captain is standing against FIF’s former third vice-president Idriss Diallo, as well as the current vice-president of the national body and president of the League Sory Diabate.
Earlier in August world football’s governing body had called on FIF to cancel its election due to the situation.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Man City’s Mendy goes on trial for rape and sexual assault
- Five new signings to watch in La Liga
- Real Madrid hope stability breeds success as La Liga kicks off
- 2022 Brazil World Cup kits released in the wild
- UEFA Super Cup on TV: Real Madrid vs Frankfurt coverage plans
- Benfica, Kyiv, Eindhoven and Rangers into Champions League play-offs
- Youngsters Fernandez, Araujo help Benfica into Champions League play-offs
- Berkane set to face Nigerian club in quest for third CAF Cup title
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig