Berlin (AFP) – Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng could miss the start of the new Bundesliga campaign after suffering a thigh strain in the club’s Champions League final victory over Paris Saint-Germain.
Boateng, 31, was replaced during the first half of Sunday’s 1-0 victory in Lisbon, having been declared fit days after straining his hamstring in the semi-final win over Lyon.
Bayern said Tuesday the centre-back will complete a rehabilitation programme prepared by the club during his holiday but gave no indication as to how long he is expected to be sidelined.
Boateng has rediscovered his best form under Hansi Flick alongside David Alaba at the heart of Bayern’s defence, helping the club to a second treble of Bundesliga, German Cup and Champions League titles in seven years.
Bayern kick off their 2020/21 season against fifth-tier outfit Duren in the first round of the German Cup on September 11. They then host Schalke in the opening game of the Bundesliga campaign a week later.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Youngsters Fernandez, Araujo help Benfica into Champions League play-offs
- Berkane set to face Nigerian club in quest for third CAF Cup title
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig
- Nigerian clubs out of luck in CAF Champions League draws
- ESPN renews English Football League rights deal
- Giggs assault trial: ex-girlfriend details ‘red flags’
- Everton sign Belgium’s Onana from Lille
- 2022/23 Serie A prediction: Who wins the Scudetto?
- Where to find PSV Eindhoven vs. AS Monaco on US TV