Kabul (AFP) – Afghan special forces bungled a night-time raid to arrest the country’s fugitive former football chief, wanted over the sexual abuse of women players, officials said Monday.
Keramuddin Karim was found guilty by global governing body FIFA last year of assaulting several women footballers, with the verdict upheld in July by the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Afghan authorities issued an arrest warrant for Karim last year, but he has remained at large.
Late on Sunday, Afghan special forces carried out an “air and ground” operation to arrest Karim in Panjshir province bordering the capital Kabul, where he is believed to be hiding.
But Mansur Onabi, spokesman for the province’s governor, told AFP the was “not coordinated with local officials”.
“The local people clashed with security forces, preventing the operation from succeeding,” he said.
Panjshir deputy governor Mohammad Amin Seddiqi confirmed that an operation had been carried out to arrest Karim.
Five female Afghan players accused Karim of committing sexual assault between 2013 and 2018.
In its judgement upholding the FIFA verdict, the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s panel said Karim had “violated basic human rights and damaged the mental and physical dignity and integrity of young female players”.
“With his appalling acts, he had destroyed not only their careers, but severely damaged their lives,” the CAS statement said.
FIFA delivered its toughest sanction: a life ban and a fine of 1 million Swiss francs ($1 million, 934,000 euros).
Karim has previously denounced the accusations as part of a “conspiracy” that had no evidence.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Alexis Sanchez joins Marseille after leaving Inter
- CAF launches new Super League to boost clubs
- Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
- Qatar World Cup to start a day early on November 20: sources
- Everton succumb to injuries and lack of talent early on in season
- Where to find the MLS All-Star Game vs. Liga MX on US TV
- Where to find Real Madrid vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on US TV
- Where to find Palmeiras vs. Atletico Mineiro on US TV
- Man City’s Mendy goes on trial for rape and sexual assault
- Five new signings to watch in La Liga