Coimbra (Portugal) (AFP) – Congo international Chancel Mbemba scored twice as FC Porto defeated old rivals Benfica 2-1 on Saturday to win the Portuguese Cup for the 17th time.
Mbemba scored both his goals in the second half of the final played behind closed doors in Coimbra.
Victory allowed Porto to complete a league-cup double but they did it the hard way.
Their Colombian winger Luis Dias was sent-off in the 38th minute with coach Sergio Conceicao also receiving a red card five minutes later.
Mbemba headed in the opener from a free-kick two minutes into the second period and repeated the trick from another set piece on the hour mark.
Benfica cut the deficit in the 84th minute from the penalty spot with Carlos Vinicius tucking the ball away.
Benfica’s Jota then saw a shot come back off the post in the last minute.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ