Kolkata (AFP) – A star Indian footballer known as the “midfield general” has blown the whistle on a possible political career just a day after joining the ruling party.
Mehtab Hossain, who represented India 31 times, was welcomed with open arms to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s BJP party in Kolkata when he joined this week.
But the 35-year-old, who retired in 2019 and now works as a coach, said just a day later he had made a mistake.
“The people in whose interest I joined politics are now urging me to leave it,” the hugely popular former player said in a social media post.
“Even my wife and children are not supporting my sudden decision.
“I would rather remain among my fans and friends as the midfielder they knew. I don’t want my life to change. I am not part of any political party from today.”
West Bengal state is regularly rocked by political violence and is run by the left-wing TMC party led by fierce Modi critic Mamata Banerjee.
The head of the BJP in West Bengal, Dilip Ghosh told AFP that Hossain left “under pressure from the TMC”, a claim rejected by the party.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future
- Where to find Sheffield United vs. Sunderland on US TV
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Rosario Central on US TV
- Where to find Dynamo Kyiv vs. Benfica on US TV
- Muscat shrugs off Iniesta threat as Asian Champions League returns
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs