Paris (AFP) – This season’s postponed French Cup final could still go ahead with a limited number of spectators allowed into the stadium, the president of the French Football Federation said Friday.
“That is what we are going to ask for. It is my wish anyway,” Noel Le Graet told AFP.
“We are in touch with the government. They might allow us to discuss having a limited number either for the start of next season, or for the Cup matches.”
The season in Ligue 1 and the tiers below was ended early in late April at the height of the coronavirus pandemic, which has thus far claimed more than 29,000 lives in France.
However, it is still hoped that both domestic Cup finals, postponed in April, can now be staged in August just before the planned start of next season, which has been delayed to the end of that month.
Paris Saint-Germain are due to play Saint-Etienne in the French Cup final and Lyon in the League Cup final.
Both matches are scheduled for the Stade de France, just outside Paris, which can accommodate 80,000 spectators when full.
Meanwhile, Le Graet dismissed suggestions that this season’s league competitions could still be restarted, a much-discussed subject in France as neighbouring countries start to resume playing.
“We follow the line of the government. There is no debate possible,” he said, preferring to look ahead to the 2020-21 season.
“Our players will be better prepared and maybe even in better form than the rest, we’ll see.
“In any case I have never questioned the decisions taken by the government. Priority to health rather than money.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Switzerland to Salford: Four days of groundhopping across Europe
- Phillips makes ‘dream’ move from Leeds to Man City
- Man Utd agree deal to sign Eriksen: reports
- Ronaldo misses Man Utd training for ‘family reasons’: reports
- Fulham sign Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon
- Jesus wants to emulate boyhood hero Henry after sealing Arsenal move
- Manchester City seal swoop for Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips
- Arsenal sign Gabriel Jesus from Man City
- Where to find USWNT vs. Haiti on US TV
- ViX+ reveals pricing details and soccer coverage plans