Lyon (AFP) – US women’s national team star Megan Rapinoe will not play for OL Reign in the NWSL Challenge Cup later this month due to concerns about the spread of coronavirus, her club coach said.
The United States has been the country hit hardest by the pandemic in terms of the number of fatalities, recording more than 107,000 deaths and nearly 1.85 million COVID-19 cases.
Rapinoe, 34, is also said to have fears about the compressed fixture list and increased risk of injury with 25 matches scheduled over the course of a month.
“It’s a shame. I understand her motivations but I’m disappointed and frustrated that she’s not with us to compete in this tournament,” OL Reign coach Farid Benstiti told French regional daily Le Progres.
“Megan is important to the group and we could have achieved something important with the club, if she had joined the rest of the group. She will be greatly missed by the team and also women’s football.”
The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) is set to become the first US team sport league to return from the coronavirus shutdown.
The nine-team league will host a 25-game tournament in Utah without spectators, each team playing four preliminary round games to determine seedings. Eight advance to the quarter-finals for a knockout event with a champion to be decided in a July 26 final.
Games will be played at Zions Bank Stadium, home of the NWSL Utah Royals, with the semi-finals and final at Rio Tinto Stadium, home of Major League Soccer’s Real Salt Lake.
Every player, official and essential staff member will be tested 48 hours prior to departure for Utah and upon arrival and be subject to consistent testing, temperature readings and symptom review in Utah.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold
- Son Heung-min’s ‘joyous’ Golden Boot hailed by S.Korea president
- Man Utd need ‘major surgery’ under Ten Hag – Dwight Yorke
- Xavi says Barcelona need rebuild but silent on Lewandowski
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies