London (AFP) – Chelsea are closing in on a deal to sign striker Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, British media reported Thursday.
The 24-year-old had been thought to to be attracting interest from Premier League champions-elect Liverpool but it appears Chelsea have in fact met the German’s reported release clause of some £53 million ($67 million).
Were Chelsea to bring Werner to Stamford Bridge it would be a major feather in the cap of the west London club.
For the past year there has been speculation linking Werner with a move to Anfield but time appears to be running out for the Reds, with the forward’s release clause expiring on June 15 — two days before the Premier League is set to restart after a coronavirus-enforced break of several months.
The Germany international has scored 31 goals for Leipzig in all competitions.
Chelsea have already agreed a deal to sign Ajax winger Hakim Ziyech.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return