The Hague (AFP) – Netherlands coach Ronald Koeman on Friday said that he “was lucky” after suffering a heart problem just a few weeks after his appointment with a cardiologist was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The 57-year-old underwent a “cardiac catheterisation” procedure at a hospital in Amsterdam in early May after feeling unwell following a bike ride.
“My appointment was postponed because of the coronavirus. Now I wonder how many people are no longer alive because such an appointment was postponed,” Koeman said on Dutch television.
“In intensive care, everything was focused on the coronavirus.
“In my family, there have often been heart problems. This is why I made an appointment for March 19. It was cancelled.”
The former Southampton and Everton manager said he was always conscious and recovered quickly.
“I had chest pain, I turned white and started to sweat. I thought: ‘This is not good’,” he said.
“I went back to the cardiologist and everything is fine. I realise that I was lucky.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Tottenham’s Son Heung-min says he faced racism as teen in Germany
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Corinthians on US TV
- England under pressure to make home advantage count at Euro 2022
- US, Jamaica women win in World Cup, Olympic qualifying event
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources
- Veteran Quagliarella extends Samp stay to 2023
- Marseille name Croat Igor Tudor as new coach
- PSG tipped to finalise appointment of Galtier as coach
- Barcelona seal double swoop for Kessie, Christensen