Brussels (AFP) – The Belgian government announced Wednesday it was suspending all sporting competitions until July 31, effectively putting an end to the country’s football season as favoured by most clubs.
The decision was acknowledged by the Pro League, the association of Belgian clubs, which will review the “end of season terms and conditions” during its general assembly scheduled on May 15.
Club Brugge, who were 15 points clear with 11 matches to play, would become Belgian champions if the league is declared over.
“The Pro League takes note of the decision taken today by the National Security Council which plans to cancel professional football competitions until July 31,” it said in a statement.
“It goes without saying that the Pro League and its clubs will respect this decision.”
The Belgian league recommended the season be declared finished early due to the coronavirus pandemic with the table accepted as final on April 2, becoming the first European league to take such a measure.
The following day UEFA called the decision “premature” and “unjustified” and threatened to deprive Belgian clubs of places in European competitions next season.
The decision must still be formally validated at next week’s meeting. The Pro League had delayed a vote on whether to end the season three times although clubs were mostly in favour.
The Belgian government had already banned all mass gatherings until August 31.
It would become the third European country to put an end to the 2019-20 campaign prematurely following similar measures taken in the Netherlands and France.
In contrast, German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday gave the Bundesliga the green light to resume the season from mid-May behind closed doors.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family