London (AFP) – The English non-league football season is over after clubs voted in favour of ending the campaign on Wednesday.
No decision has yet been made on whether the league tables in the National League, National League North and National League South will be upheld as they stand or the competition declared null and void.
Leagues from the seventh-tier down were brought to an end and all results expunged last month.
“The options concerning the sporting outcomes of the 2019/20 season remain under careful and timely consideration, and further updates will be given in due course,” the National League said in a statement.
The top four divisions of the English game are still planning on trying to finish the season when it is safe for football to return.
However, there is growing sentiment among League One and Two clubs that playing the campaign out behind closed doors could just burn what little money they have left.
“At a time when the entire country is wrestling with the devastating impact of Covid-19, the cancellation of the remaining normal season matches brings a degree of certainty to our Clubs coping with the business implications of the virus,” said National League Chief Executive Officer, Michael Tattersall.
UEFA insisted on Tuesday that their “strong recommendation” is still for top division leagues and cup competitions to be completed.
However, the Dutch FA has announced it intends to end the Eredivisie season after a government ban on large gatherings was extended until September.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters