Milan (AFP) – Italy’s sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora said Thursday he was “very, very doubtful” that Serie A action would return as hoped in early May.
Both Spadafora and Italian football federation chief Gabriele Gravina had last week expressed their hope that the championship could resume on the weekend of May 2.
“The forecasts that made us think we could resume sports competitions in late April or early May I think are a bit too optimistic,” Spadafora told Italian television station Rai 3.
“I am very, very doubtful. I can certainly say that if there are conditions to resume competitions in certain circumstances, it will certainly take place behind closed doors.
“To date, it is unthinkable to say that in May it is possible to resume all competitions regularly, especially with spectators.
“Even scientists have no certainty about the evolution of the epidemic. We have to adapt our decisions to changing situations.”
All sport in Italy has been suspended until April 3 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic which has killed 8,000 people in the country.
“The final decision will be up to the FIGC (the Italian football federation),” the sports minister added.
“They could decide to postpone games until the late summer, but the situation is complicated, football has taken a little longer than others to understand the crisis.”
He added: “We want to be ready to start as soon as it will be possible. Sport will be one of the engines that will allow us to revive this country after the health crisis.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Sling Blue to air over 50 Premier League games through year end
- Where to find Denmark vs. France on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Manchester City on US TV
- CBS Sports to televise more women’s soccer matches
- Messi claims he had trouble finding himself at PSG
- Arsenal set Women’s Super League attendance record
- Southgate, Kane claim England are nearly powerless over Qatar
- Premier League should be decreased to 18 teams, says David Dein
- Southgate holding England back from being world beaters
- Where to find Mexico vs. Peru on US TV