Madrid (AFP) – Aston Villa goalkeeper Pepe Reina has said he believes he has been suffering from the new coronavirus.
Reina, who joined Villa on loan from AC Milan in January, was unable to take a test but says doctors considered his symptoms to be consistent with COVID-19.
“They don’t give you a test here unless you’re feeling really ill,” Reina told Spanish radio station Cope on Tuesday.
“I spoke with doctors and the symptoms I had were consistent with this (the virus) but there was no official confirmation.
“It was a different sort of week as I had to take precautions to avoid infecting those living with me.”
Reina, who has 36 caps for Spain and won the World Cup with his country in 2010, said his concern was more for people living in difficult conditions.
“We are very privileged people,” said the former Liverpool goalkeeper. “We have a big house with a garden.
“I think of the people who live in a 70-metres-squared apartment with two children. For me they are the people showing a lot of strength.”
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more