Berlin (AFP) – Bayern Munich will host Eintracht Frankfurt in a rematch of the 2018 final in the German Cup semi-finals after Sunday’s draw, while Bayer Leverkusen will head to history-making fourth-tier outfit Saarbruecken.
It is the first time in German Cup history that a fourth-division side has made it to the semi-finals.
As a team from a lower division, Saarbruecken won the right to play at home against 1993 winners Bayer Leverkusen.
Leverkusen goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky said before the draw that he wanted his side to avoid playing Munich and Frankfurt.
Saarbruecken goalkeeper Daniel Batz said that his side wanted to “save Bayern for the final”.
Nineteen-time champions Bayern Munich, who have appeared in seven of the last 10 German Cup finals and won five, will face Eintracht at the Allianz Arena.
Frankfurt claimed a surprise 3-1 win over Bayern in the final two years ago.
The ties will take place on April 21 and 22, while the final will be held at Berlin’s Olympic Stadium on May 23.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- England under pressure to make home advantage count at Euro 2022
- US, Jamaica women win in World Cup, Olympic qualifying event
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources
- Veteran Quagliarella extends Samp stay to 2023
- Marseille name Croat Igor Tudor as new coach
- PSG tipped to finalise appointment of Galtier as coach
- Barcelona seal double swoop for Kessie, Christensen
- Work to be completed well before World Cup: organisers
- Switzerland to Salford: Four days of groundhopping across Europe