London (AFP) – Leroy Sane ramped up his return from injury as the Manchester City winger played 57 minutes with the club’s under-23 side on Friday.
Germany international Sane has not played since suffering a knee ligament injury in the Community Shield against Liverpool in August.
Sane, who was PFA Young Player of the Year in City’s 2017-18 Premier League-winning campaign, returned to training last month.
The 24-year-old played his first match since on Friday as City’s Elite Development Squad faced Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in Premier League 2.
Sane’s return to the pitch is welcome news for City manager Pep Guardiola, who will hope his star can play a role in their bid for a successful end to the season.
“It is always nice to ease back and get a feel for the game,” Guardiola had said of Sane before the game.
“It is incredible that first-team players can join in with academy games for recovery. It is good.”
Sane, who was a transfer target for Bayern Munich before the injury, showed his relief at finally being able to play again when he tweeted after the match.
“Back on the pitch…and it felt great,” he wrote alongside a picture of him in action.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ESPN wants FIFA 2030 World Cup rights
- Record crowd sees England women off to winning start at Euro 2022
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda joins Rennes after Marseille exit
- Italy’s Pessina moves to ambitious Monza on loan
- Adams joins American contingent at Leeds
- Veteran France keeper Mandanda set for Rennes after Marseille exit
- Chelsea closing in on deal for Man City’s Sterling – reports
- Belgium golden generation’s last chance at winning World Cup
- Dortmund swoop for Haller to fill Haaland void
- Frenkie de Jong not for sale, says Barca chief